According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, falls are the leading cause of fatal and nonfatal injuries for older Americans. Falls threaten seniors’ safety and independence and generate enormous economic and personal costs. Alarming statistics include:
- One-third of Americans 65 and older fall each year
- Every 20 minutes, an older adult dies from a fall
- Falls result in more than 2.8 million injuries treated in emergency departments annually, including over 800,000 hospitalizations, 300,000 hip fractures and more than 27,000 deaths
- In 2013, the total cost of fall injuries was $34 billion
- The financial toll for older adult falls is expected to increase as the population ages and may reach $68 billion by 2020
- Those who fall once are two to three times more likely to fall again – in many cases due to a fear of falling. Because of this fear, they limit their activities and social engagements, resulting in further physical decline, depression and social isolation
Ready & Steady – A Plan for Better Balance is a community outreach and public health falls prevention and balance program dedicated to the health and wellness of everyone in our community, especially seniors. Ready & Steady – A Plan for Better Balance was designed using evidence-based studies and clinical research on balance, falls and exercise to offer innovative approaches to prevent falls and their devastating effects. It is our goal at Pines of Sarasota Rehabilitation and Senior Care Community to create greater awareness of the issues related to falls and balance and to help minimize your risk of falling. As part of our more than 69-year legacy of providing compassionate care to the greater Sarasota, Florida community, Pines of Sarasota, a not-for-profit Rehabilitation and Senior Care Community, is offering this program to help prevent falls by:
- Raising awareness of the critical need for falls prevention among all members of our community
- Offering a free falls risk assessment provided by Pines of Sarasota Rehabilitation Services
- Recommending an action plan to help community members take preventative measures, including certain exercise programs, to help mitigate their risk of falling
The Ready & Steady free falls risk assessment offered by Pines of Sarasota is the crucial first step in falls prevention. It takes approximately 20 minutes, and results are held confidentially. These are the simple steps:
- Fill out a questionnaire on your medical conditions, medications and activity level.
- Take a simple “Timed Up and Go (T.U.G.)” test, which evaluates you sitting, standing and walking.
- Finally, a certified therapist will assess you with the state-of-the-art BIODEX Balance System SD Machine, using three 20-second trials which are then analyzed to evaluate your risk of falling.
Based upon the findings, a recommended plan of action to help mitigate your risk of falling will be shared with you, and may include the following:
- Preventative programs like tai chi classes
- A home environment assessment by an occupational therapist
- Adjustments in medications, vision prescriptions or footwear
- Prescribed physical therapy that includes strength, balance and gait training. This training could be covered by Medicare and/or health insurance.
To determine your risk of falling or that of someone you care about, call 941-552-1882 to schedule a FREE assessment today.
Getting Back to Your Daily Routine
After joint replacement, stroke, a serious accident or a fall, a period of rehabilitation is required for a recovery that allows you to return to your everyday routines. Finding a rehabilitation facility with trained therapists who can work with your schedule and design a care plan with you, your family and your physician is vital.
Increasing strength, regaining mobility and reducing pain after an accident or surgery can often be accomplished as an outpatient. Look for a facility that is familiar with your condition, has state-of-the-art equipment, and specializes in senior rehabilitation.
Short-Term Inpatient Physical Therapy
When an event occurs that requires short-term inpatient physical therapy with nursing care, find a facility that offers a customized program to meet your needs. If you need occupational and/or speech therapy, look for a facility with those specialized, certified therapists on staff.
Why You Should Choose Pines of Sarasota For Rehabilitation
Our 16 skilled, caring therapists create a personalized care and treatment plan for each patient, based on your specific needs. Along with a combined 229 years of experience, our therapists also hold advanced certifications in Vestibular, LSVT (for Parkinson’s patients) and Vital Stimulation therapies. Extensive ongoing training, including in the latest geriatric treatments, ensures that they can manage the full range of your needs. And our first-class facilities and cutting-edge equipment provide the setting for our team to help you restore balance to your life.
Joel Amistoso, PT, Director of Rehabilitation and the Therapy Team at Pines of Sarasota